Sunday, October 27, 2013

How to Paint Acorn and Autumn Leaf Art

Hey Painting Friends!
Get your brushes out.
We're going to put layer over layer of paint.
Just like fall - full of beautiful blends of color.

Pin It!

You know me,

I love a textured board surface.

That, in itself, lends to interest in the way color lays.

Plus, I'm a little bit country. ha.


So starting with the fence board build,

put a wash of dark brown black all over.

After that dries, paint on an off white (Quill)

lifting brush on the edges.




I made a rough sketch

(need new art paper : )  )





Because I want a translucent look on this piece,

I'm going to use a lot of clear glaze to extend my paint.

First dip your brush in clear glaze,

then half in buttermilk and half in antique gold

and paint entire leaf.




Then concentrate the shading in the bottom right of the leaf.

First layer apricot glaze,

then raw sienna,

then Georgia clay,

then napa red,

then raw umber,

allowing each layer to dry first.

Oh, I also added some citron green.



If paint is too heavy,

lightly rub off with paper towel.

That will keep the translucent look.

Base the acorn in apricot and green.

Then shade with raw sienna and raw umber.

(or a mix of rich brown that you will also use for cap)





Pin It!

Use Raw Sienna with glaze on a small flat brush

for edge and leaf details.







On the very outer edges of the fence board,

you can add more brown by using a flat brush

and pulling color in on the edge.

I have other paint and build tips in






The acorn and leaf is a simple graphic

that will make a fun fall color statement

on your front door or wall.



Pin It!

Hope you try it!

Thanks for visiting my blog today,

Deb


 Linking to:

9 comments:

Artsy VaVa said...

As always...I love your artwork!

Feral Turtle said...

What a wonderful fall collection you have created.

Decor To Adore said...

This looks fabulous!

Julie @ followyourheartwoodworking said...

Love your style... always unique and beautiful.

20 North Ora said...

Love this Fall piece. Your work is always so great!

Thanks for the tutorial.

Judy

Krista Aasen said...

So pretty Deb - the layered colour is beautiful. When I read your tutorials I always feel like I could almost pull it off. Maybe. Pinning:)

The Kim Six Fix said...

I love how that came out! The acorn is a darling!

Abby said...


I love your stuff...you make painting sound so do-able! Your fall signs are so pretty!

Felecia Cofield said...

Hi Deb! I love your creations! They are so pretty! Thanks for sharing how you did them! Blessings from Bama!