Monday, September 16, 2013

My Pottery Barn Look on a Budget

Because I love Pottery Barn style
 
and because I'm budget brained,
 
I'm determined to find ways
 
to "Get the Look".
 
 
 
Pin It!
 
You know Red over Black paint layering
 
is one of my faves.
 
Base painting in a semi-gloss black...
 
 
 
 
Double loading a brush of two semi-gloss reds -
 
Apple Red and Colonial Red-
 
and brushing over black.
 
 
 
And there you have the look of the
 
Pottery Barn Red.
 
 
Pin It!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The canvas totes make great accent pieces
 
with the red furniture.
 
Here are just a few details  -
 
Topstitch long edges.
 
 
 
Finish side edges
 
and stitch right sides together.
 
 
 
 
 
Make a box bottom
 
by stitching across bottom
 
forming a triangle.
 
 
 
 
Turn .
 
Add grommets around top.
 
put a fabric covered cardboard square in bottom.
 
 
 
 
I've used the layered red over black
 
in several paint projects under
 
the "Painted Furniture" tab
 
in the menu at the top.
 
Here is a recent bedroom set:
 
(including chalkboard headboard
 
and cork topped nightstand)
 
 
 
 
Style on a budget.
 
It's a fun challenge.
 
 
 
 
Pin It!
 
Hope your days are filled with fun projects too!
 
Deb
 
 
 Sharing Here:


21 comments:

Spittin-Toad said...

I love the red over black and I have a piece from Good Will that is already painted black...High gloss. Do you think if I lightly sand it I could do the reds over it?
Thanks,
Denise

miss flibbertigibbet said...

Looks just fantastic Deb! You can't tell it from the VERY overpriced counterpart! Cheap decorating does not have to look cheap! Great job!

Feral Turtle said...

I love this look too. It's amazing how paint can transform anything into an expensive looking piece!

Nunya said...

I think I love you. :) I just happened up on your lovely blog and your red over black technique is EXACTLY what I was looking for for a specific piece I have in my office! Thank you so much - I'm looking forward to check out the rest of your site!

Deb Hrabik said...

You have a head start! When you have a piece of furniture that already has the black gloss on it - you don't even have to sand. Just make sure it's dust free and apply red top coat. Easy :)

Jana@Transformations From the Heart said...

Deb,
I love the red over black look too. My eldest son keeps asking me do redo his dresser with that look. Hopefully some day I'll get around to it. I'd be thrilled if he would get it all sanded for me first, whew what a job! I remember my last dresser that I painted with the red and black look, turned out great and sold really fast. But it was a job!! I should show him your blog post today so that maybe he will get the urge to sand.

Cecilia said...

Beautiful! Love it. Thanks for sharing how to get that finish.

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Love the red over black look!

Krista Aasen said...

Wow Deb you did an amazing job achieving the high end PB look! I LOVE those totes -have to study your tute more carefully so I can figure it out for myself! Pinning:) Thanks!

Kim said...

Gorgeous! I am totally a red girl and I used to work at PB, so this is my kind of post! :) Kim @ Exquisitely Unremarkable

20 North Ora said...

Love the look of that red finish! Great job as usual.

Judy

Art and Sand said...

I love anything red.

The canvas tote is so cute and so much better than paying PB prices.

Mindi@MyLove2Create said...

Everything you do is inspiring...seriously! I love this!

Sandi @ The Primitive Skate said...

Love this look, Deb.
Thanks for sharing.
I think I'm gonna have to try this.
Have a wonderful day.

Sandi

EveryDay Bloom said...

I love the Pottery Barn look too...thank you for writing about your take on their red. It looks beautiful. I do have great big huge painting projects ahead of me ( exaggerate not)...and a botched past project haunting me (table, three years ago, paint is getting tacky with use). I'm grateful that you share your ideas and tips.

Pieced Pastimes said...

You have captured the pottery barn look to a T! Love the grommeted tote you made and the the red over black on the chair is wonderful. Very Nice!
Thanks for the inspiration,
Suzanne
Pieced Pastimes
PS-Would love to have you link this up to Saturday Sparks. Links are open till Friday.

Christy James said...

Gorgeous! Love the tote how-to as well....might be able tackle one of those! :)

Babs said...

Great PB copy! And, great tutorial..love the look and what a great idea for a canvas tote. Visiting from BNOTP.

Maria said...

Ahh how beautiful! I love the chair (love that red!!!) and the canvas tote! Beautifully done!!!

Beachwood Place LLC said...

Thanks for sharing! Absolutely beautiful! The chair is gorgeous!

Krista Aasen said...

Hi Deb! I featured you today at Work it Wednesday. Hop over to The Happy Housie to grab your button!
~Krista