Monday, December 17, 2012

Make a Red Chalkboard

I've been experimenting
with making chalkboard paint.
I really like what's happening with it.
If I can make my own,
I can get whatever color I want.
Today it's Red.


But I didn't want just any red.

I wanted a bright red with a dark red shading surround.

I mixed 1/4 cup Plaster of Paris with 1-2 Tbsp water making a paste.

Then I added about 1/2 cup or more of Red Paint.

I used this bright apple red for the main base
and the darker colonial red for the shading.
When I shaded the edge I just used paint and glaze.
But all of the interior was the Chalkboard mix.

I applied 2 or 3 coats.









The paint seemed very durable .

 I kept chalking and wiping off with a wet cloth

as I was playing with design ideas.




Pin It!




You might recognize the board

like the one I built here.





I had fun sketching different designs.





Now that's some good inspiration...

The same yum that inspired me to Paint a Starbucks Snowman.

Now for a happy snow girl:






Pin It!


Blessings to you friends.

May you find

the

merry and bright moments

in your days,

Deb


Link Parties:

The Shabby Creek Cottage

17 comments:

Helen said...

So cool! What did you use for the chalkboard....a thin piece of plywood?

Diana of Diana Rambles said...

Very nice!

SewSweetVIntage said...

LOVE it! Pinned:) Gotta try making some. Do they sell plaster of paris at the craft store?
Merry Christmas! http://www.sewsweetvintage.com/2012/12/let-it-snow_13.html

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

What a wonderful project! Thanks so much for sharing!

Sonny G said...

great job.. love your creative style~!

Mindi@MyLove2Create said...

Ooooh! I love the red! Super cute, you are a great artist!

Courtney said...

Awesome Deb!! Very Christmassy indeed :)

Stephanie said...

LOVE this - of course I could never make my design in chalk look as good as yours - so cute!!

Maria said...

How beautiful and festive! LOVE the red chalk paint, the frame and the pine cones! What a great decoration! Merry Christmas!

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Neat look you have here...beautiful shade of red. Merry Christmas!!!

Blessings,
Linda

Funky Junk Interiors said...

This is SUCH a gorgeous project! And I'm totally digging that dark wash on the edges, it truly made this even more special!

I've shared you all over the land today for SNS 166. :)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151312707356141&set=a.192514281140.164586.175378011140&type=1&theater

Meg said...

LOVE this!

Found you via Funky Junk~

Bliss said...

Love it!

Merry Christmas you talented inspirational lady.

Bliss

Heather said...

What a great spin on an old favorite! I love chalkboards, and the red for the holidays is just perfect!

Rasonda @ East Conolly Cottage said...

So cute and festive!!

Debbie @ MeandMyDIY said...

Deb, this is such a great idea! The red looks amazing, and is a nice change from all the black chalkboards we've been seeing lately. What a fabulous way to add some color. And I love the way you added some shading around the edges. Absolutely beautiful. I've pinned this for next year. Have a great day!

Debbie

Debbie said...

I tried to leave a comment on your most recent post but it would not let me. Congratulations on being featured in the Holiday Crafts magazine by BH&G. Gorgeous red chalk board.