Monday, July 9, 2012

Some Beach Somewhere Pallet Art



is hosting a link party
where you choose something you've pinned
that inspires you to create your own project.

Well, I have Loved Aimee Weaver's Art and
had pinned her pallet beach art
as inspiration for some old wood
I had in the garage.

This is Aimee's piece:



You can purchase Aimee's art here.

My 56" long board art can be purchased here.


Here is my Pin

Changing it up a bit,
I made a long art board
for my home:






Pin It!




Pin It!

I wanted a piece extra long.
That way I can decide to use it above the tv
or as a headboard
or down my long hallway.

Once upon a time
I found an old wooden fence in the trash,
loaded it in the truck,


then tore it apart
into useable pieces.




After deciding placement of the boards,
I cut one board in half
to stagger the arrangement.
Then I used underlayment
to connect the boards on the back 
and made a hanger with picture wire.





*Here is an updated version 
of construction on the back.



Let the painting begin...
Base coat white - Not full coverage



A little sand in the mix.



Then some blues...







*I like to use Americana Sea Breeze

and Craftsmart Pool Blue with white 

for the lighter water.

Then for the darker I use Folkart Teal

and any navy mixed with black.





After the brush application,
I did a little dip and drag with cardstock
over the layers to get the effect I wanted
(separation of color)
You can read more about this technique here.



I wanted the surf line to look frothy
and have a harder edge in places so
I drug white paint with a metal knife.



On the sea and sky I wanted a softer white blend
so I used a brush.
But the sand gets the cardstock dip and drag
and the knife.

The dark black edge on the horizon adds the most depth.





Pull a line of white paint
across the middle of the center board
for a surf line.



Splatter Sand on the bottom edge



Paint the edges Charcoal



Thank you ,Blake Shelton,
for reminding me that there's
Some Beach
Somewhere!



Now that's a refreshing bit of beach for my wall.















Thanks for your visit.
Have a great day!
Deb

Linking to:


Monday:         DIY Showoff
                       Sumos Sweet Stuff
                      Between Naps on the porch
                      Craftomaniac
                      I should be mopping the floor

Tuesday:        Coastal Charm
                       My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
                              Home Stories A to Z
                              Centsational Girl
                              Young House Love
                              Bower Power
                              Ten June

Wednesday:   Savvy Southern Style
                       Cheap Crafty Mama

Thursday:       Beyond the Picket Fence
                      The Shabby Creek Cottage
                       The 36th Avenue
                      House of Hepworths

Friday:           At the Picket Fence
                      Redoux Interiors
                      Bliss Ranch

Saturday:      Funky Junk Interiors
                     Tatertots and Jello

47 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so impressed with this! You make it look so easy ( but I know it's not)
Beautiful!

Courtney said...

You do make it look easy Deb!!
Wow!! This is awesome (or oarsome if you want a lake analogy!)
If I had a beach house, I would definitely want one of these!!!

Deb Hrabik said...

Thanks girls!
Honestly though the painting on this piece probably took less than 2 hours. This was a quick one! Phew.

ArtfullyJune said...

Beautiful piece - what a great piece to look and and dream of being at the beach.

Heidi Lisa said...

Love it Deb! Just my colors!

Deb Hrabik said...

Thanks Heidi,
I know blues are probably more of a coastal color. But even here in the midwest, I'm drawn to the water.

Heidi Lisa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heidi Lisa said...

I hear ya! I know I'll be an oddity with an ocean themed farm house in the Idaho desert...lol ;o)

Athena at Minerva's Garden said...

Hi Deb: My first time to your blog, and wow--you are an amazing artist! What a gorgeous piece of artwork you have created--I love the colors your selected so much, and it goes perfectly in your home--just lovely!

Natalie said...

Deb I have been following your blog for a little while and just love your paint techniques. But this is by far the best ever. I have given you a shout out on my FB page http://www.facebook.com/pages/NorthShore-Days/235617543185297

Hope thats okay. Take care xx Nat

Deb Hrabik said...

Thanks Natalie!
That would be great.
Thanks for your visit and comment,
Deb

Sand and Shells said...

I love Blake's song... and your artwork is really nice!! Beautiful coastal colors and soooo beachy - love it!

Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence said...

I love it--might have to try a Montana mountain view!

Cynthia said...

Love it, love it, love it! This would be perfect for me to try as we have a beautiful North Coast (do you know where that is?-lol)home on the beach. Tried your dip and drag technique with the cardstock, and my project turned out better than I expected. Didn't look like much the first layer, but subsequent painting with the same method turned out beautifully. Thanks so much for the tutorial. Cheers!

Unknown said...

Hi Deb, Natalie of Northshore posted about you and your painting so I had to come see! It is very pretty and fits perfectly with your lake house decor. I am an artist trying to get back to painting so I applaud you for picking up your brushes...lol!

Jen @ The Decor Scene said...

This is gorgeous!!! I love the beach and your project just brought me right to the beach in a moment. Stopping over from YHL Pinterest Link Party. :)

Deb Hrabik said...

Thanks Jen!
Oh, I know...the relaxing water's edge...dreaming of my toes in the sand. (In between projects of course!lol)
Appreciate your visit and comment, Deb

Claire @ a little something in the meantime . . . said...

Absolutely stunning, Deb! The colours are so vivid. It almost looks like a photograph.

You continually amaze me with the beautiful painting you create from just a handful of paint colours :)

Anonymous said...

Very pretty as was your inspiration piece. Great work!

Aimee said...

You did such a great job on this Deb! I just love it and am glad to have inspired you! :)

Deb Hrabik said...

Thanks Aimee!
Much appreciation,
Deb

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

It's beautiful, and very beachy. Love those colors.

Mimi@blueroofcabin said...

I absolutely love this painting! especially that it is on wood. That you so much for sharing your technique. :)

Unknown said...

Thanks so much, I love this and I love how you showed all the neat tips to make the waves etc!

Deb Hrabik said...

Thanks Deanne
I always want my tutorials to be really helpful,
Deb

reFresh reStyle said...

I love everything you do!! I used the paper drag on a piece that I did! Great technique :)

Deb Hrabik said...

Fun to hear that you tried it,
Thanks!
Deb

cheapcraftymama said...

That looks fabulous! Love it!

karen@somewhatquirky said...

Beautiful. Thanks for the great tutorial. Think I will be doing something like this soon!

Deb Hrabik said...

Thank you Karen!
I am your new follower. I like your mantra about being colorful and creative,
Deb

Bernadette @B3HD said...

Nice job. Like your step by step for the non-artists among us. (that would be me * smile*)

Bernadette from www.b3hd.blogspot.com

Deb Hrabik said...

Happy to help1
Thanks for stopping by,
Deb

Bliss said...

Ok, that is fantastic, now I'm pinning yours as my inspiration!

~Bliss~

The Checkered Apple said...

Great job on your Pinterest inspired project Deb! Looks great on the wall!

Hollie @ I'm Busy Procrastinating said...

Your painting looks great. I appreciated you pointing out what techniques you used for the different colors and effects.

Little Miss Maggie said...

I love your beach scene. So refreshing and so realistic. Thanks for joining our Hot Fun in the Summertime link party.

Holly @ Bella Nest said...

This is so pretty! I love your coastal decorating style too!

Anonymous said...

Love it!.....can't wait to try this!

Holly @ Bella Nest said...

...Please stop by Bella Nest to see your feature!

The CSI Girl said...

Great refashion of the pallet! Wow, it looks amazing on your wall. I would love for you to link this up to The CSI project this week. The challenge is refashions/upcycles. This would be perfect and you just might WIN! Come on over each week for a new challenge, new tutorials and new judges.
www.thecsiproject.com

PS I would love for you to be a guest judge sometime as well. Love your blog's style!
email me if you are interested
dee@thecsiproject.com

domestiCate said...

I love this art! It's the perfect solution for a spot I've been considering over a bed. Thanks for sharing!

domestiCate said...

I love this art! It's the perfect solution for a spot I've been considering over a bed. Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

I am in LOVE with this "Some beach, Somewhere" pallet art!! Do you make them to sell? I am VERY interested. I would love to give this as a gift for my love :)

Deb Hrabik said...

Hi Amanda -
Yes, I sell them on my Etsy site, "DebHrabikDesigns".
My shop is on vacation right now, but, I will open in a couple of weeks.
Thanks so much, Deb

Mary said...

I am unable to read some of the blue paint colors, and I'm not very good at picking them out on my own. Can you please list the colors? I appreciate it. I'm new to your blog and love it! Your are very talented.

Deb Hrabik said...

Hi Mary -
I use so many different shades of blue that I even sometimes forget!
I really like Americana Sea Breeze with Craftsmart Pool Blue and White for the light water. For the dark water I like to use Folkart Teal with Navy (mixed with a little black) and then I also some times add some sea breeze back in even on the darker water.
Happy Painting!
Deb

Unknown said...

Awesomeness! I'm am going to try one myself 😉