Sunday, March 18, 2012

How to make Easter Wall Art

It's time to have a craft party.
This beadboard bunny sign will be a fun spring project.

 
Pin It!
 
 
Here's what you will need for wood:
3/8" thick plywood for backing, cut  10 1/2" x 25"
Beadboard panel (I used unfinished birch), cut 9 1/2" x 24"
Bunny cut from MDF (it is a thin wood panel about 1/8" thick)
You are welcome to enlarge the bunny silhouette to use as a pattern for your personal use.








Carve the edges of the plywood back using your jigsaw
holding it at a slight angle.
The angle of the cut will look something like this:




See, the edge will have a slightly carved look
giving it that rustic feel.



Sand all of your pieces.
Now you're ready to paint.
Paint the back of the plywood black so it will look finished when complete.
Paint the front of the plywood white leaving the edges for raw sienna color.



Splatter white with camel color paint.



Paint the beadboard.
I used blues and shaded the edges a bit.
Here are some colors I mixed:



I painted the bunny white and rubbed a raw sienna wash over top
then brushed raw sienna on the edges.

Using a script font from the computer,
I printed out the text
to fit the length of the bunny.



Using my patio door as a light box,
I held the text printout right side against the window
and then using a pencil I traced the letters on the back side.
Now I have a pencil line that will transfer to the bunny
when I lay the pattern in place and press down on top of the text with a pencil.
That gives me a nice pattern to follow with gloss paint and my liner brush.







Use 1/2" sheetmetal screws to attach beadboard at 4 corners.
Use 2 screws to attach bunny on top of beadboard.




Optional to use sawtooth hangers on back
or two 1 3/16" screw eyes to hang from ribbon on top.


The Great Thing about a Craft Party is
that everyone has their own ideas
for color and text.
Let's see what the girls came up with!









 
 
Pin It!


Such a fun time with family!
Feel Free to use this design idea
for a craft party of your own.

Thanks for stopping by.
 
 
Linked to :

9 comments:

Karen said...

Love that sign! everyone is so pretty. The ladies did a great job.

Deb Hrabik said...

Thanks, Karen, for stopping by!

thistlewoodfarm said...

Visiting from Centsational Girl! I absolutely LOVE your sign. Such a great idea for spring.

Thanks for the inspiration.

blessings,
karianne

Shari @ turnstylevogue.com said...

Those are adorable. I love the rustic feel but with spring color. What a fun thing to do with friends and family.

The Checkered Apple said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Checkered Apple said...

Love the sign and it was great to see it done in the different colors!

Paint Colors said...

Too cute! Love the bunny cutout you used. I have some pastel paint left over from my little girls room makeover. Sure hope to whip one of these signs out over the weekend.

Deb Hrabik said...

I hope you do give it a try!

Deb Hrabik said...

Thank you, Laura. I appreciate your encouragement since i am a newbee blogger!